The starting point

The starting point

Friday 3 June 2016

3/6/16 Below we go

A warm night last night , and about 80% overcast this morning . We are enjoying the warmer weather here !!
 Breakfast done & out of the way , the decision was made to head down to the beach - out came the snorkelling gear , bags packed and we wander the 450m down to the beach . The tide was on it's way back out , so the beach was somewhat narrower . Stopping at the headland below the lookout , I got organised and headed out into the water , stopping to put my flippers on in waist deep water . It felt a little strange - here I am just about to go snorkelling with a camera attached to my wrist , and I'm just about to drop it into salt water - something fundamentally wrong about this !!! I kept going , the camera now submerged - thinking to myself - I hope the seals are good !!
 Swimming over all the sand , I reached the point where it drops down steeply from a metre deep to about 5m deep , clumps of coral start to appear , then the clumps extend as far as you can see - visibility today wasn't as good as last year , but still adequate , it would be about 20m today .
 Turning the camera on , it fired into life just in time to get a photo of a clam shell .



 I lift my head occasionally to check where I am , the current helping me to drift along taking me further from my entry point .


  There are plenty of fish swimming around , parrot fish , black fish , black & white fish , many memo's - only in black & white here ! There are many types of coral , I won't try to name them all - the photo's can do the the explaining .









  I came across a fish cleaning station where a cleaner wrasse was methodically going all over a fish that was lying on it's side very patiently .



 

  I hadn't noticed today whilst I was snorkelling , the noise of the fish chewing on the coral - crunch , crunch , crunch !! I took a couple of videos and the noise came through when we watched them later , they make quite a racket !!!
 I came out of the water to see the cloud was burning off to another great day , and the sun was hitting the headland .




 We dried off and headed back up to the van for some lunch , enjoying the warmth again .
About 2:45 we headed back down to the beach for a walk and maybe a swim , then we remembered the fish feeding at 3:30 pm . There are some decent size sea perch and spangled emperor that come in to have a feed on the fish pellets . The fish are quite used to people and quite happily swim around and through your legs - especially since they know they will get some food out of it .




 And that's our day done , the camera came through unscathed , the photo's & video came out well and most importantly the camera didn't leak !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment