The starting point

The starting point

Thursday 15 February 2024

9/2/24 Munda Biddi track from Ocean Beach to Lights Beach

 

    So , sitting back in the van I got the idea to go and ride some of the Munda Biddi track from where we are to Lights Beach . We'd previously driven up to where it starts , be hardly a challenge on the bike . Well the day came and I got ready - backpack , spare water bottle , another water bottle for on the bike , and the camera & phone of course . And off I went , apparently it was about 3klms to get to the track , some of it on bike track and the rest on the edge of a sandy gravel road - did I mention it was also uphill for most of the gravel road and a head wind , yeah picked a good day for it . After walking up some of the gravel road , I jumped on and rode the other section to the track start at Sinker Bay . The track itself was fine gravel and mostly hard packed , with a loose layer on top , and it was all uphill and reasonably steep - steeper than I needed to ride up , so I walked and pushed . There was a thumping in my chest - something felt like it wanted to get out - it was trying  , so I stopped & took some photo's and had a drink and it settled down .


     Unbeknownst to me , this was the highest part of the ride , so most of the hard work had been done , There were some great views of the coast .


    There are 2 wind turbines on the top of the ridge and I thought I'd be riding away from them , but they kept appearing in front of me , then gone , then back again . The track twisted and turned all over the place. It had me questioning my sanity several times , why am I doing this ???? 


    Said turbines appeared in front of me again , this time I was riding right under the first one , noisy bloody things . Next I was off again in the right direction , then back and around the 2nd one - I stopped and had a rest and drink before heading off again . To my surprise the track turned from gravel to bitumen - it turned into the WOW trail - Wilderness Ocean Walk - and it was going downhill Yahoo happy about that , but there were still some uphill sections as well . The head wind I had at the start has now become my friend - a tailwind , and it was a cooler wind which was even nicer . This is looking back to the wind turbine where the bitumen started .
   

    The track kept showing sections of the coast , great views . It kept winding down and around , some blind corners and sharp turns - a pleasure to ride down .


    At the bottom of one hill was a carpark and some steps down to Back Beach - another great view .


    Back on and uphill again , but not for as long , so then it was back downhill again , twisting and turning through the coastal scrub . Even had to dodge some walkers along the way . Before too much longer I was nearly back to the carpark at Lights Beach - here's the stairs down to Central Beach .


    My lovely wife had just stopped a few minutes before I arrived at the carpark , so didn't have to wait long at all - perfect . Well that was it , I'd done that section of the coast -12.1klms of it , questioned my sanity ( several times ) and had a great ride to boot . We headed back for some lunch and a cruise afternoon . Here's a map link , unfortunately Google maps satellite isn't very up to date  :- https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1M8cauebRTv3nBmZUzt-RfN3pGlpVhGg&usp=sharing

   Here's a track of where I rode , just follow the pink line .



No comments:

Post a Comment